Countertop Template Digitizer
The customer had us design an electronic system to template countertops for replacement with granite.
We developed an embedded controller that tracks high-resolution encoders to accurately measure the kitchen. The controller connects via Bluetooth to a mobile app that captures the template data and sends it to the factory for cutting.
Contractors typically use large sheets of cardboard to make a life-sized physical template of the area, then digitize it later so the stone can be machined. This new system provides a means to digitize the countertop in place with a mobile app and send it to the factory for cutting.
We used a PIC microcontroller and quadrature decoder hardware to track high-resolution encoders. It connects via Bluetooth to a mobile app that handles the user interface and template data.
The system features include:
- Laser alignment system
- Measurements have millimeter accuracy
- Mobile app uses Bluetooth to connect to the digitizer
- All digitizing is done on site
- Built-in cost estimator provides instant quotes
- Mobile app uploads the completed template to the factory for manufacturing