Aircraft Autothrottle Test System
This client is a leading manufacturer of components and controls for military vehicles, weapons systems, and aircraft. They also produce controls for commercial aircraft, including throttle controls for the new fly-by-wire systems.
Testing is a critical part of aircraft production where life and death is literally at stake. The company was testing every throttle quadrant assembly (TQA) manually, and the process was taking as long as eight hours to complete. An additional complication was that they were testing different types of throttles, and each required separate test procedures and connection hardware. The software and hardware had to be modular to allow testing of multiple types of autothrottles, for Boeing, Gulfstream, and Canadair.
Using off-the-shelf and custom-designed components, a flexible automated test platform was created to test different types of TQA's.
- Efficient: Single equipment rack tests multiple throttle types, saving thousands of dollars.
- Flexible: System can be changed in minutes to accommodate various throttle types.
- Expandable: Modular hardware allows easy system expansion.
- Easy To Use: Simple screens lead user through test procedures step by step.
- Secure: Measurements stored in protected database.
- Reports: Printed database reports show all measurements and parameters.
Dramatically Shorter Test Time
The time to test a throttle with the manual system varied greatly, depending on the skill of the operator, ranging from about four hours for a highly skilled operator, to as much as eight hours for an operator less familiar with the throttle. The automated system can test a throttle in about half an hour.